Holy Rood Catholic Primary School


History

Holy Rood School has been part of the history of Watford for well over 100 years.

The school has changed dramatically from its early days at Percy Road to our large building and spacious site now at Greenbank Road. We have moved from being a separate Infants and Junior school to a 3-11 primary school and nursery. We are proud to have served so many families within our community and look forward to continuing to do so for many more years to come!

The school opened in 1885 and was called ‘St. Vincent’s School.  It was a board school started by the Dominican sisters in Beechen Grove. In 1893 the school moved to a new building (now Grade II listed) adjacent to Holy Rood church in central Watford. In 1896, the school took on the name of the Church to which it was attached and became ‘Holy Rood School.’

Holy Rood continued to operate successfully from its Percy Road site until 1969, when a new purpose junior school was opened on the present Greenbank Road site. It was joined a few years later in 1976 by an Infants school on the other side of the car park.

30 years later in 2006, the decision was made to amalgamate the two schools into one large 2 form entry primary school and ‘Holy Rood Catholic Primary School’ came into being.  Over the next five years, a schedule of building works was undertaken to remodel the existing Infant and Junior School buildings and eventually join them to create one school building spanning the joint sites of the original two schools. By 2011, building work was complete and Holy Rood as we now know it was ready to head into the future as one united school and one family.